OTTAWA, April 12, 2019 – Have you faced any issues with your mobile wireless service – cellphones – be it your bills being too high, data overage fees, high roaming charges, poor quality of service, or any other problems? The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) is reviewing the mobile wireless services. With this public consultation, the CRTC will be specifically looking at:
- the state of competition in the retail wireless service market;
- regulation of wholesale mobile wireless service and the provision and competition implications of the Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) access; and
- the future of mobile wireless services in Canada- 5G technology and other developments.
Here’s your chance to share your experiences and ideas with the CRTC; enabling them to better understand your wireless concerns, and accordingly, plan and take the required measures. PIAC encourages you all to participate, and share your views regarding the available choices within the retail wireless industry, issues you have faced with mobile wireless services, and any measures needed for improvement.
It is important that you comment in detail, and be as specific as possible about your issues and ideas. You may choose to add your particular experience– what happened when you complained about an issue, or brought it to the attention of your wireless provider? What challenges did you face in dealing with this? How would you like these issues to be addressed? Details like these will allow for a more clear and precise understanding of the point being made.
We also encourage you to share this message and the link to the CRTC’s public consultation page with your contacts. Remember, more public input means a stronger and a more prominent consumer voice, with a better chance of seeing positive changes for consumers.
Do not wait, participate now and be a part of this process. Please note that your comments must be received by the CRTC by 5 p.m. Vancouver time (8 p.m. Ottawa time) on May 15, 2019.
We at PIAC continue to advocate for your rights, and plan to be your voice during this proceeding. Watch our website for our submissions to the CRTC throughout the process.
- CRTC Notice of Consultation: The CRTC’s Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2019 – 57
- Direct link for commenting on the CRTC’s Consultation: Link for submitting your comments
- NEW: Coalition for Cheaper Wireless Services (CCWS), which includes PIAC, ACORN, NPF and CARP: initial comments dated 15 May 2019.
- Contact the CRTC: https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/contact/
- To contact PIAC: https://www.piac.ca/contact-us/